Monday, August 29, 2011

about my teacher

If you read one of my earlier posts you know I taught middle school for years so I have a special place in my heart for teachers.  I made an important decision years ago to spoil the teachers of my children.  I want them to feel special and appreciated.  I'm not trying to butter them up for when I want something but instead just let them know that I appreciate everything they do.  At times, my children's teachers will spend more time with them than I will.  I'm trusting these teachers with my most precious assets so I want them to know I am thankful and thinking of them often.

Plus, if I'm really honest, when I taught I liked it when I got things I liked or wanted.  Gift cards and my favorite candies or treats were just a little (or a lot) more exciting to receive than another plate of cookies with nuts (that I won't eat).  Also won't eat homemade fudge that is given by the kid who picks his nose in class either, but that's a different story.  

So here's the idea I borrowed stole from a former co-worker of mine.  At the beginning of the year I take in a small bag of treats (this year I made Snickerdoodle bars) and attached the "About My Teacher" letter and asked them to fill it out and return to me.  Several times throughout the year I can look to my form and know what the teachers would like and spoil them just a little.  On parent/teacher conference evening I'll take a little gift bag with their favorite snacks or pick up their favorite Starbucks drink.  On their birthday (or half birthday if they are a summer baby like myself) bring in a little something special.  Christmas Break or I mean, Winter Break, now is easier for me to shop as I know what to pick out.  No more little "My Favorite Teacher" desk decorations, or plates of random holiday cookies and candies, no more mugs (the first few are nice but really, how many can one person drink from), etc..  To make your year run smoothly and to treat your child's teacher(s) with extra special care here is the form I used this year.

Copy and paste to your hearts content - it's a gift from me to you!



About My Teacher


We are so excited that you are Nathan’s teacher!  We’d love it if you would fill out this questionnaire so we can get to know you better!  Thanks!


Name ____________________________________________________

Your birthday ______________________________________________

Favorite Color ______________________________________________

At Starbucks I would order ____________________________________

Favorite drink ______________________________________________

Favorite restaurant __________________________________________

Favorite snack food __________________________________________

Favorite candy _____________________________________________

Favorite cookie _____________________________________________

Favorite place to shop ________________________________________

Favorite flower _____________________________________________

In my spare time I like to _____________________________________
_________________________________________________________


Thanks! 

Matt, Kyle, Nathan and Levi



2 comments:

  1. That's such a great idea! So many teachers get so much stuff they don't need...more mugs? Oh man! Totally borrowing this if I ever have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this idea! I can't wait to use it once C starts school!

    ReplyDelete